Focus on the sound, not the volume control - Mackie Big Knob
The Mackie Big Knob takes all the fuss out of studio volume control, letting you get back to important things - working on your music.
How many times have you wanted a quick and easy way to make subtle adjustments to the volume of your song, but it took over 10 seconds? Or something loud started playing, jolting you upright, but you can't turn it down quick?
As the name suggests, it has a Big Knob that works really well. The knob is easy to find, and you can do it without even looking at it. It has smaller knobs too, but the big one makes it easy to use.
I was looking for something to control my home recording studio. I had a computer and an interface, software and hardware. It all worked together, and I was getting decent sounds from it.
But something was missing.
Whenever I wanted to change the volume, I had to mess with some arcane volume control knob in my software'; with a mouse! It was so hard (and imprecise).
Enter the Mackie Big Knob.
The Big Knob kept coming up in my search for studio volume control, so I gave it more attention.
Make no mistake, this is not some flimsy piece of gear that will break or malfunction in a few months - it is built like a rock and will last as long as you want it to.
Sound quality is always important in selecting a piece of recording equipment. Everything you hear goes through the studio monitor system, so it must be transparent. It can't color the sound, leaving you with a shadow of what's there.
That's why the Mackie Big Knob is an excellent choice. For the availability on the market, nothing will beat it. Of course, you could look at a super high end system, like the Grace M906. But the reality is, for a home recording studio, the Big Knob does the job as good as anything will.
Those two benefits alone are enough to make the investment worthwhile, but there's more!
- Switch between headphones and monitors/speakers with a push of a button. The Mackie Big Knob has a plethora of connection points, allowing you can plug in several sets of studio monitors and switch between them at the press of a button.
- Talk to musicians with ease. With the press of a button you can talk to anyone connected to the headphones mix, a separate channel that can be set up with a customized mix.
- Replacement? Not necessary - it is rock solid and just won't break.
- It looks great. That big knob? There's just something alluring in it.
- Eyes free volume adjustment - with a knob that big, there's no missing it.
- Manage cable clutter. When everything is hooked up, tie all the cables together, and run them behind the desk. Never worry about unsightly cables on the desk again!
You know, this makes the Mackie Big Knob well worth the investment. But all these great benefits are just sidelines to the real, bottom-line result.
Instead of focusing on silly frustrations like volume control, you will free yourself up to work on music. After all, isn't that why you started learning about recording in the first place?
Before I bought my Big Knob, I worried that the money could be better spent on something that made my sound better. Something like new mics, a better software plugin, or a mic preamp. But now I'm just so glad that I have my Mackie Big Knob.
It was worth it.
That said, it may not be worth it for you. Why? If you don't have studio monitors, for one. Or if you could better spend the money on some good quality mics or software plugins.
But if you have these things, what are you waiting for? Will the Big Knob help you?
Return from Mackie Big Knob to Recording Equipment